A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Back (again!) at Rutgers Gardens

I went back to Rutgers Gardens today to check on my bed and to do some weeding in the Herb Bed. This is a little garden across the road from the Display Gardens. It is composed of cacti and succulents.

I love the contrast between the lush annuals and veggies in the Display Gardens and the sparse beauty of the desert plants.

How do these heat loving plants survive the winter, you ask? They spend it in a cozy greenhouse, of course! The "pots" in this picture are actually pieces of clay pipe. I love that idea, don't you?

Isn't the little arbor really cool?



These beds are new this year, as is the "entry" that has been created with containers. Unlike the other beds in the Display Gardens, these have mowing strips.

I love strolling around looking at what the other volunteers have planted in their plots. This looks like a moon garden with all the white flowers and silver foliage.

This is "Kayla's Korner". Kayla is the granddaughter of the Volunteer Coordinator (in the Golf Cart). I'm not sure how old Kayla is. Elementary school age perhaps. She chose all of the flowers and created the design herself. I think she did a great job, don't you?

I think this is some kind of sage in the Herb Bed.

Foxglove in the Butterfly Garden.

A little whimsy in one of the veggie plots. I'll have to find out whose bed this is.

Coreopsis in another veggie plot.

I have no clue what this is, but I really like it!

Even the compost bins are beautiful here.

I don't know what kind of roses these are but they give me an idea for my own composter.

Any excuse to plant more roses in my gardens!

2 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Caren, you need to put links to your pages on GW more often... beautiful pictures. :)

By the way, I trashpicked a couple of pieces of clay pipe last fall and this year I planted lemon balm in one and peppermint in the other. I'll have to take pictures of them to post--they look rather interesting.

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

I rarely post my own blog to Garden Voices because I am so awfully behind. Thanks for the compliment. I'm getting better at photography. You know what they say, practice makes perfect. I take LOTS of pictures.

Using clay pipes for herbs which can be invasive is an excellent idea. You can see pictures of them in the Herb Bed at Rutgers Gardens in this post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home