A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, June 09, 2006

The Weirdness Chronicles 2006, Chapter Five

I have wanted foxglove for years. I have sown seed year after year. Different times. Different beds. Indoors. Outdoors. Nothing worked. Finally, I broke down and bought a plant. It bloomed this year. Apparently I planted it backwards. The flowers are all facing the back of the bed. I didn't know foxglove had a "front" and a "back", did you? Was the package labelled and I missed it?

3 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

I've been shopping around for foxgloves myself and I recall reading one variety described as having flowers all the way around (sorry, don't remember which foxglove it was!). I hadn't noticed that they were "flat" on one side before, but that must be common.
Could it be that the flowers orient south, like sunflowers?

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kasmira, I thought sunflowers followed the sun! You may be correct in this case. The flowers are kinda sorta facing south.

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine are one-sided, too. They bloom to face the sun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home