A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, August 20, 2006

OldRoses Revealed!

Featuring Guest Photographers!

Ever since the Rutgers Garden Open House my left foot has been very painful to walk on. I finally went to the doctor when the pain became intolerable. Diagnosis: stress fracture probably from all of the running around I did at the Open House. Treatment: stay off of it and keep it elevated and iced. Impossible! Rutgers Gardens was sponsoring a tour of Longwood Gardens. I've been dying to go back there. So . . . yesterday, with the help of a walking stick loaned to me by a fellow volunteer and completely AMA, I joined the Rutgers Gardens volunteers on a tour led by the Volunteer Coordinator. She was so impressed by my fortitude that she took a few pictures.

I am not at all photogenic, but these came out so well that I thought I would share them. Here I am, stepping out from behind the camera for the first time on this blog . . .



"Hobbling through the conservatory"

This is one of my favorite parts of the conservatory. After the heat and humidity of the tropical rooms, it's always a relief to spend some time in the dryer environment. Remember! It's not the heat, it's the humidity.

"I like that one the best!"

The last time we were here in January, the group lost me in the orchid room. I couldn't get over the incredible number and variety of orchids on display. By the way, the woman in the picture should look familiar. She was kind enough to pose for me to provide scale in one of my photos.

"That's a lotus"
Here she is again pointing out a lotus plant to me. I've never seen one in person, only in photos or in museums painted on the walls of ancient tombs. I was thrilled to be able to finally get "up close and personal" with this ancient plant.

"That's a Water-Platter"

I took advantage as often as possible of the many benches scattered around to rest my foot. Here, the Volunteer Coordinator was kind enough to spend some time discussing the water-platters with me. Again, a plant I had never seen in person.

"That's really tall!"

And here we are agog at the height of the plants in the Palm House. We are standing on a second story balcony and the trees are towering at least another story over our heads.


"Look! Grapes hanging from the ceiling"

This is the Estate Fruit House. You can't really see the grapes in this shot. Here's a better one:


"What a color!"

Outside of the Terrace Restaurant was a container with elephant ear. This photo really doesn't do justice to the brightness of the color.

"There are tomatoes all the way to the top of the tepee!"

This is a great garden showing how a wide variety of flowers, vegetables and fruit can be grown in an attractive manner in the space of a normal-sized backyard.

"The Queen Bee"

Everyone loves to sit on this "throne" in the Children's Garden. It was a good place to take another short break.

"Where's the Rock Garden?"

We were all looking forward to seeing the Rock Garden, one of our last stops. But when we got there, we discovered that it has been removed so that new steps could be installed. What a disappointment.

Many, many thanks to my guest photographers, "M", our Volunteer Coordinator and the one who came up with the idea for this post as well as taking most of the photos, and "A", my good friend, fellow volunteer, gardener and cat lover, who gamely posed with me as well as taking some great photos. You both made what could have been a very miserable day for me into a lot of fun as we scouted locations and recruited volunteers for our "Backwards Pictures".

You guys are the best!

13 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

My poorly Oldroses, looks like you enjoyed the day out at Longwood Gardens.I laughed at the photos, have you taken a leaf out of Sigruns book always obscuring her face, or using back of head shots.
I love your Hat.I would have liked to help you around, and took pictures for you.
Now take the Docs advice, and try to rest up a bit.Heal in your garden, or other peoples through the blogs...
Its good to read a post from you.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Snappy, as I mentioned, the idea for taking photos not showing my face was not mine, it was M's idea. When she suggested I sit on the throne and use my hat to cover my face, I immediately thought of Sigrun's "Mr. Wonderful".

I'm glad you like my hat. I have several of them. I chose that one to wear that day because it has a chin strap that kept it on my head when the wind blew and I was busy taking photos. It also came in handy in the "throne photo". I used the strap to hold the hat in front of my face.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your hat and your post! You have a wonderful sense of humor. I took the plunge last week and put an itty bitty photo of me at my blog. Painful--mystery is best, I think. Longwood Gardens is such a fabulous place. Nice to see photos of the conservatory, etc, that I visited not too long ago in late May. Take care of that fracture.

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger LostRoses said...

I'm so glad you didn't have to miss Longwood Gardens, you are truly an intrepid gardener and that was a very amusing post!

Don't you love the lotus? I always think the seed pods look like shower heads! And the huge floating water platters are really a phenomenon of nature, aren't they? Your photos are wonderful.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Kasmira said...

Thanks for the tour. The backsides photos added a bit of interest and humor!

By the way, for a lady with a broken foot, you have very good posture! Do you have a dance background?

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post. I'm glad that OldRoses is finally revealed and yet remains a gardener of mystery.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Judith, I've been clicking straight through to your posts so I haven't seen your whole blog in a while. Great picture!

LostRoses, I thought of the exact same thing when I saw the lotuses!

Kasmira, me? A dancer? hahahahahahahaha! I;m a total klutz, always tripping, falling, running into things.... My good posture is due to my old-fashioned upbringing ("Stand up straight!" "Stop slouching!" "Sit up straight!")

M Sinclair, wasn't it fun? I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed doing it.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Loved all the pictures, the flowers and plants, the "lovely lady with the hat". Reminds me of the "bonnet kids"!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You look just as I had always imagined! ;) Great tour, OldRoses--thanks.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Carol, "bonnet kids"? Quite a compliment. I've always been too tall to be considered "cute".

Kim, they say that the gardener eventually begins to look like their garden. Oh, wait, that was dogs, not gardens!

 
At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old Roses... "M" here- I am enjoying your blog and the photos of our garden friends! They were such great sports! I googled Mr. Wonderful, as I had no idea who you were all talking about... Another great blog and wonderful pictures of the german gardens... We will have to do this again, esp. now that I have that wonderful new hat of mine!

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

M, and don't forget our earrings. I wore mine today while I was working the Helpline. We definitely have to get some pictures of you in your new hat. And we'll have to remind "A" to wear hers also. What a great shot that will be!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

Hi, here is the wife of Mr. Wonderful.
The photo of the Queen-bee is the best! Realy!

Sigrun

 

Post a Comment

<< Home