A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Garden Bloggers' Book Club

The growing season is winding down. I'll be taking time off from work at the end of next month to get my bulbs in the ground. After that, other than raking leaves, there won't be a whole lot of gardening going on until next April.

My intention when I started this blog two years ago was to write about gardening year-round. Last winter was easy because I was taking Master Gardener classes. This winter will be more difficult. How many different things can I find to write about working in a greenhouse or the Garden Helpline for the Master Gardeners?

Fortunately, Carol of May Dreams Gardens has come up with a great idea: an online book club. Heck, I was planning on reading garden books anyways. I usually review a few of the books I read so this is a perfect fit for me. Here's a list of some of the books I would like to read this winter:

Tulipomania : The Story of the World's Most Coveted Flower & the Extraordinary Passions It Aroused by Mike Dash
The American Gardener by William Cobbett
We Made A Garden by Margery Fish
An Island Garden by Celia Thaxter

I have already read and enjoyed Carol's suggestion, Green Thoughts,: A Writer in the Garden by Eleanor Perenyi. Every time I see tree peonies, I think of this wonderful book. I wouldn't mind reading it again. And I would definitely be willing to host a month.

I can't wait to find out what book we will be reading first!

2 Comments:

At 5:31 AM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Great list! I've got 4 lists so far, with some great choices. I may end up publishing a compiled list of all the books mentioned at least once and do some kind of vote.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Nancy & Jeff said...

You need to add to your list Jeff Lowenfels new book, "Teaming with Microbes; A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web by Timber Press. It will be a classic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home