A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Green Thumb Sunday


Last year, I took a great picture of one of the blossoms on The Fairy but it had no scale. This year, I included the scale, but the picture and the blossom aren't nearly as nice. Yes, that is one inch (2.5 cm). The flowers are incredibly tiny.

This rose is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. It's not as heirloom-y as many of my other roses having been only introduced in 1932 but it is one tough customer. It's one of two roses that I purchased last year at my local drugstore of all places for all of $4.97 each. I planted it and it bloomed the same year.

This spring, I was heartened to see it merrily putting out leaves and then crushed when I discovered that the squirrels had eaten all the leaves and gnawed off most of the branches. But it came back. I transplanted it across the sidewalk to my new entry garden with much trepidation. I had already transplanted a lot of roses in my backyard and lost quite a few of them in the process. But The Fairy settled into its new home, grew more leaves and branches and even bloomed.

It looks healthy and strong going into the winter. I am confident it will continue to thrill me every year.


Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

6 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Oh, what a sweet little rose. I'm on the lookout now for roses, since I've finally decided to add some to my garden. I'll keep this one in mind.

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the small alternative is even more beautiful, like in this case. One have to admire the miracle of creation, how perfect those tiny ones are created!

Lovele choise to show us :-)

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's such a sweet flower! That's a really cool variety. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Genie
The Inadvertent Gardener

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger melissa said...

What a lovely flower ..and a tough plant .
I always though squirrels were rather cute ..guess they aren't if they devour your roses ..and i thought only wallabies and parrots did that !!

 
At 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I have a The Fairy too and mines doing well. They just pump out the flowers when they get going don't they? Mine still have some flowers blooming.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Naturegirl said...

I have "the Fairy patio bush" small pink
roses in abundance along the foundation of the house.. (concealing nicely)in my rose garden.They are STILL flowering as is my Queen Elizabeth!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home