A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, January 13, 2007

IT BLOOMED!!!!!

Please excuse the screaming, but long-time readers of this blog know that I have waited literally years for this event. I was making my daily trip to the composter with my morning coffee filter and coffee grounds when I spotted some white by the birdbath. My composter is a tad full and I leave the top off of it so when the coffee filters dry out, they have a tendency to fly around the yard when it gets a little breezy. I am constantly picking them up all over the yard and putting them back into the composter.

As I got closer to the birdbath, I realized that what I was seeing was not a coffee filter. It was (drumroll, please) . . .

. . . a hellebore blossom!

As you may recall, I planted the hellebores in fall 2004. Let me repeat that, FALL 2004. Other than getting larger each year, they have done exactly zero for for 2 1/2 years. So there was a lot of screaming and dancing around today. Then I came to my senses and dashed into the house to grab my camera before something happened to the flower. Like a hungry squirrel or sudden ice storm. It could happen, you know! It is January.

The downside of this event is that now I'm going to have to find something else to complain about. Like the fact that I can never get foxglove to grow from seed while everyone else is "weeding" them from their gardens.

4 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Patience does pay off (eventually)

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Darn good thing that I am not one of those who yanks things out in disgust! I was planning on ordering more this year because, if nothing else, they are an attractive ground cover.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

I've always wanted to plant a hellebore, but haven't done it yet. I should! What a happy event to finally see a bloom. I can totally imagine your joy..I'd be the same way :)
*I've never thought of them as ground cover! Our youngest's boyfriend, Akio (who is a gardener! yah!) gave me a wonderful ground cover book for Christmas (yes, that won my heart for sure!). I've been repeating the *above thought over and over while reading it. I'm amazed that ground covers can be so interesting! (silly me...they're plants...of course they're interesting).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home