A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday


Join




I've been trying for a year now to figure out why I am so fascinated with the orchids at Longwood Gardens. There are literally walls and walls of them but that's to be expected. There are more colors and shapes than I thought existed but there are many, many orchids species so that shouldn't be surprising either. I'm not an orchid fancier. I have no desire to grow orchids. Heck, they don't even have a nice fragrance! I don't know what it is, but I could spend hours in this part of the conservatory.


Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

7 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the same way about orchids and don't understand it. This post gives me strong incentive to plan a road trip to Longwood Gardens. It was a favorite destination in my childhood and teenage years.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Acey, January 2006 was my first visit and I was hooked! Now I go every chance I get.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pic, OR. I still don't like orchids, but there's something about that wall... maybe it's because they literally surround you?

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

When I went to Longwood in December I was fascinated by the Orchid Room. One of the best collections of Orchids I have seen. Thanks for bringing back a pleasant memory.

PS. Some Orchids are wonderfully fragrant don't give up on smelling them.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Do any of you remember the Nero Wolfe series of detective novels? The odd but brilliant sleuth had a greenhouse full of orchids on the roof of his NYC house - maybe liking orchids is a sign of genius!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Okay, I'll keep sniffing!

Annie, what a compliment! Thank you. You're right. I had forgotten about Nero Wolfe's orchids.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Those orchids are truly beautiful. The ferns interspersed really enhance the lovely blooms.
It's funny, I've never had a desire to grow them either, but I love to look at them.
I must put Longwood Gardens on my wish list of places to visit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home