A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, January 15, 2007

Squirrel Damage

The squirrels, who should be hibernating, are frolicking around the yard as if it were summer. It's so warm that instead of snow and ice like the interior sections of the country, we are getting rain. In January. Back to the squirrels. There is plenty for them to eat. All the bulbs are sprouting. Here are some of the crocus that I planted in the Entry Garden to brighten my spring:


And here is a lily. I planted several kinds of oriental hybrid lilies in the Entry Garden. Stargazer. Casa Blanca. Muscadet. Lemon Meringue. I'm not sure which one this is. I didn't keep track because I was counting on the flowers to tell which was which.


Unlike prior years, I have a white primrose as the first bloomer rather than a yellow one:

They don't normally bloom in January either!

5 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Oh, those squirrels! I actually like the little "tree rats," but they've been messing with my tulip bulbs like crazy this year. It's just been too warm too long. And I've never been one of those gardeners who "cages" her bulbs to keep the squirrels out, but if we have too many more of these warm winters, I might have to start :-)

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Squirrels! Fortunately, we don't have too many of these rodents out here in the 'burbs where trees are few. Hopefully, they leave you a few flowers to enjoy! Greedy rodents!

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have too many of those critters too. 9 at the last count. They dig up bulbs, ate the hazelnuts, knock over the birdseed bin and upset the sunflower feeder making a mess. Somehow still cute in their antics though. It's quite something to see all nine running around and clambering over everything. The rabbits and groundhog seem to do much more damage especially in the vegetable garden.

We have a redtailed hawk and at least a couple of sharpshinned hawks in the neighborhood. I wonder why they don't go after the squirrels? At least the redtailed should be big enough to bring one down.

With the warm spell most of our primroses bloomed. But like yours the white was the predominate bloomer with the most flowers per plant.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

I'm guilty of "encouraging" the squirrels by feeding them. I throw special "squirrel food" that I get at Petsmart under one of my (squirrel-proof) birdfeeders hoping, in vain it turns out, that they will leave my gardens alone. This year will be one of my biggest losses of bulbs because of all the warm weather and lack of snow.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Oh dear! That's upsetting. We don't see many squirrels around here due to our high concentration of cats! So they're a novelty for us. Yes, they're very cute and I love to watch them, but I'm glad they're not here eating my lilies, bulbs and bird seed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home