A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

Join



My neighbors spend a lot of time on their deck. They've told me how much they enjoy watching the butterflies on my butterfly bush. They claim to have seen up to 20 at a time. I think that may be an exageration. There was wine involved in that conversation. The most I have ever counted was nine at one time. It's very difficult to get a good picture of them all at once. The camera doesn't "see" what the eye does. You may have to double click the above picture to enlarge it and see the two swallowtail butterflies. The monarchs seem to prefer the tithonia.




Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

7 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger ACey said...

can't wait to have a yard full of butterflies!

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were to plan a new garden, I would plant many flowers for the butterflies.... What an awesome place to sit and watch them :-)

Wonderful!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Kati said...

That's going to be one of the considerations this year as I plan my garden: what plants will attract butterflies!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I have had no luck with butterfly bushes. I'm on the edge of the growing zone for them, but maybe I'll try again.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

I'm planning a combined butterfly and hummingbird garden for this year. I'm hoping that this will be the year the I FINALLY get some hummingbirds!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

I lost my butterfly bush several years ago when it didn't survive the winter. I must plant another one. Yours is beautiful.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kerri, my butterfly bush is very special to me. It was a gift from my closest friend. She lost her battle with breast cancer the following year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home