A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Winter Sowing Update

Yes, I know I just did this yesterday, but I had to peek again. A third container has sprouted. Cosmos "Seashells". All three of these containers were planted for my plot at Rutgers Gardens. Just in case they didn't work out, I have duplicate seed packets for my gardens at home. If you recall, last year I lost all of the seedlings I started in the greenhouse and was forced to transplant plants from my own gardens. This year, I wanted to make sure that all of my bases were covered and that I would have plenty of plants for both "home" and "away". So far, so good!

Winter Sowing Sprouts!
Bachelor's Buttons
Calendula
Cosmos "Seashells"

6 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

You're really humming along :-) I just went out and checked mine. I've got alyssum, monarda, veronica, and nigella sprouting. This is so much fun!

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Marc said...

Have you grown Cosmos Seashells before? My daughters picked that as one of our annuals to grow this year. The picture on the packet looks great! If you are familiar with it, do you have any pointers for a beginner?

Thanks!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

How nice that your seedlings are doing great. Mine are happily growing away too. Still have more to sow in the coming weeks.

Cosmos is lovely, my dad sows them every year and gives me a few seedlings too. :-)

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Marc, cosmos are among the easiest annuals to grown. Plant them after your last frost date. Cover the seeds lightly with soil and keep moist. They germinate quickly, grow quickly and bloom profusely as long as you keep deadheading them. I've grown the seashells cosmos previously. Here's a link to my post about them: Green Thumb Sunday.

Colleen, I'm eager to see how your monarda do. I hesitated about winter-sowing them this year. Maybe next year.

Yolanda, if you allow the cosmos to go to seed in the fall, they will reseen themselves freely in your garden the following spring.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

'Seashells' are an old favorite of mine, too, OldRoses, but I haven't grown cosmos since we moved. I'll have to grow them again some day.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Annie, "seashells" is a new discovery for me. I had always grown Sensation and Bright Lights. Now I grow all three plus Picotee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home