A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Garden Bloggers' Snow Day

Remember those cheery crocuses decorating my yard two days ago? A winter storm blew through yesterday leaving an icy snow surface so hard, I could literally walk across my backyard and never break through the crust. The cute little striped crocuses are completely buried in the front of my house. The yellow ones and dark purple ones in front of the shed are bravely sticking up through icy drifts.


My winter sowing is definitely getting a workout. I'm eager to see how many seeds actually germinate after this:


4 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Ugh! Snow in March is never good!

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger David (Snappy) said...

I hope your seeds germinate after the winter workout.The crocus look nice poking through the snow.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Carol, I am so frustrated! I want to be outside digging and pruning and weeding. I have rosebushes on order that will be delivered very soon but the beds haven't been prepared and in a couple of cases, not even dug yet!

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Fortunately, although crocuses look fragile they can stand a bit of snow.

Your frustration is understandable, many gardeners feel it too. We've been couped up inside long enough and want to get gardening again.

Last week we had a lovely spring but now it's back to winter in the Netherlands too. Yesterday we had hail, snow, a thunderstorm, rain and 2 minutes of sunshine. Last night we had frost. So far my plants seem to have survived it all, although my tall daffodils look slightly the worse for wear. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home