A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, March 31, 2007

All Hands Alert!

An urgent call for volunteers has gone out from Rutgers Gardens. The spring sales are rapidly approaching. Thousands of plants need to be transplanted into their sale containers. The Gardens obtains many of their sale plants from Kube Pak, a wholesale grower. Any trays, or plugs as they call them, that have poor germination or have had some of their plants removed to fill out orders resulting in partial trays are donated to the Gardens.

This is what the greenhouse looked like today after the latest run to Kube Pak:


All of those tiny plants have to be transplanted into 4- and 6- packs for sale to the public. One tiny plant at a time. Hence the urgent call for help from as many volunteers who could spare some time as possible.

This is how we did it:


Each plant is "popped" out of its tray into a container and then replanted into flats. In the background, you can see the flats being filled with the potting soil which is actually a soil-less mix.

Confession time: I'm not quite as altruistic as you think. I do get something out of this besides gratitude from Rutgers Gardens. Any leftover plants are donated (or "re-gifted") to the volunteers. Here's my haul:

In the rectangular pot are two types of coleus and various begonias, color unknown (leftovers aren't labelled). The round pots have petunias in them. Again, I'm not sure of the color. But, hey! Free plants! It's all good.

2 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger pmo3ws(Kathy) said...

Hi Old Roses, My husband and I went to our local nursery and they were as busy as a one armed paper hanger! I know they had at least a dozen working Saturday. Everything was just gorgeous! We went to 2 nurseries, Lowes and Walmart and I'm afraid we really over did the buying and today we over did the planting! My feet are tired!

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Guilty as charged! Today was my day to overbuy. Other than two bare root rosebushes which HAD to be planted, I haven't put anything in the ground yet. They're predicting snow for Friday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home