A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

Join




My newly discovered Houseplant Green Thumb has proven dangerous to my pocketbook. Every week I seem to be buying plants. Last week I picked up the above little number while grocery shopping. It's identified as "Assorted Cactus" but I'm pretty sure that it is a succulent.
Today's purchases were made at a local nursery where I had gone to get more potting soil (darn african violets need to be divided again!), suet for the birds (it's cheaper by the dozen there) and to look for pots. I didn't find any pots that I liked but on my way to the suet display, two pretty little african violets hopped into my shopping basket:


It was love at first sight with the lavender center and picotee edges. Its buddy was one I've never seen before:

A red african violet! Have you ever seen such a thing? Speaking of my Houseplant Green Thumb, in the upper corner of the photo you can see the african violet I got from the Master Gardener Reunion last January still blooming away.



Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

14 Comments:

At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! The nursery is a dangerous place for me, too, but I've neber had the nereve to try african violets. They seem so delicate and needy!

Visiting for Green Thumb Sunday.

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack - sorry for the typos! I'll slow down and proofread next time, promise!

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Skeet, I used to feel the same way about african violets until I discovered this window on the second floor of my house that they just love!

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Rosengeranium said...

You remind me that I should set up a rule; never enter a nursery or garden fair with big amounts of money in the wallet or on the account. And I wish I had the same love for african violets - they're so easy to carry. Yesterday I travelled from Stockholm and the Nordic Garden Fair with a gigantic citrus bush. I left a trail of citrus from Stockholm to Uppsala...

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Ki said...

Looks like some sort of variegated aloe. Very nice reticulations or I guess bandings would be more correct. No matter how many times I've said we have too many plants already, I can't seem to resist another unusual one we don't have. The curse of a collector.

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skeet,
those nurseries are dangerous to us addicts. I now have so many plants it looks like a grow op in my house lol.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Ki, aloe! I hadn't thought of that. At least now I know where to start researching the darn thing.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Nurseries are very dangerous places for those of us who love plants.:-)

Your african violets are very pretty and I don't think I ever saw a red one before. Lucky you!

BTW it's difficult for me to keep african violets because my Maine Coon Vita first picks all the flowers off the plant and then, one by one, all the leaves. I take it, your MC is much better behaved?

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the white and lavender violets -- so pretty! And your succulent is very cool, too -- all that stripe action makes it so interesting.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Yolanda Elizabet, I am very fortunate that both my cats never bother my plants or my Christmas tree! My Maine Coon is very good at pest control though. He loves to catch and play with any bugs that get into the house.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

The succulent is a Haworthia.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed how plants jump into your cart. Powerless to stop them sometimes! All your new plants look like good choices.

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks, Xris! Now I'll know how to take care of it.

Carol, it happens to you too?????

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger MrBrownThumb said...

Looks like someone beat me to it. I was going to say it was a Haworthia too. Neat plants, I just got a bunch of new succulents myself that are awaiting a sunny day here so they can photographed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home