A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Winter Sowing Update

I'm doing a Happy Dance! Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate has germinated! This seed is supposed to be extremely difficult to germinate. I never understood why because it is an heirloom and heirlooms are generally very easy. Thankfully, I seem to have hit on the perfect way to grow them because they have become one of my favorites.

Winter Sowing Sprouts!
Bachelor's Buttons
Calendula
Cleome "White Queen"
Cosmos "Seashells"
Johnny-Jump-Ups
Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate
Love-in-a-Mist
Nicotiana alata “Lime Green”
Nicotiana sylvestris
Snapdragon "Black Prince"
Verbena bonariensis
Wild Purple Foxglove

In case you are wondering, I have a total of 20 containers. I now have 12 that have germinated.

7 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger LostRoses said...

I had to look up "Kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate." That should be an amazing looking plant when it reaches 6-9 feet tall! I like the pendulous catkins and the color. Didn't you grow one of these last summer? Did you get the seeds from your original plant?

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Yes, I did grow it last year. The seed I direct sowed only germinated two plants and they barely survived. I purchase two (3?) plants from the Master Gardener sale which did much better. But I'm cheap and hate buying plants if I can "grow my own".

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of great plants. You'll have tons of seedlings soon!

I never grow cosmos or Nicotina as seedlings. They germinate very easily in the garden bed and grow quickly when they do.

Best of luck with all of your little plants to be.

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Tricia, I normally direct sow my cosmos seeds but I need transplant sized plants by May for my plot at Rutgers Gardens. I've never had any luck direct sowing nicotiana so I thought I would winter sowing a shot.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger gardenmomma (Chris) said...

It's almost like birthing a baby when something so cool happens! Dontcha just love that name, "Kiss me over the Garden Gate"??? Please post photos as "your little one" grows up!

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Chris, I didn't post a lot of pictures last year because I was over-committed with volunteer work and Master Gardener classes. I've cut way back this year so I will have time to actually enjoy gardening. Hopefully, there will be many more pictures this year.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

You named this lovely tall shrub for me (Polygonum orientale) when I posted a pic of it taken at the Cornell Plantations in September (thank you). I love the romantic name too :) How exciting that you got the seed to germinate!
You've had very good luck with your winter sowing. None of mine have germinated yet, but we haven't had much warm weather yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home