A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Weirdness Chronicles 2007 - Chapter 2

Boldly growing where no bulb has grown before . . . Sorry about the poor quality of the photo. It's cold and windy today, so I am sanding and taping walls in preparation for a badly needed paint job. I noticed this little anomaly as I made a quick trip to the composter with my morning coffee grounds.

Like the snowdrop in my last weirdness post, this crocus is growing in a bed that I have never planted bulbs in. Ironically enough, after years of indecision, I have finally made up my mind which tulips and daffodils I want to plant here. Crocus and snowdrops will also be planted as a matter of course. Bulbs are to be ordered for fall planting.

If this keeps up, I made not have to buy any bulbs for this bed!

8 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Another lovely surprise from your garden. How lucky you are. I like surprises like that, don't you?

I have a compost heap too, but keep a special bucket with lid in the utillity room so that I don't have to go through rain and wind and cold many times a day with something for the compost heap. Just a thought!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

I have a container in my kitchen too. I use it to collect my kitchen waste in between visits to the my composter. I like to visit my composter daily because it's also my chance to see what's going on in my gardens.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Looks like the squirrels have been helping you plant, OldRoses! At least it's something cool like a crocus... they plant trees in all my containers.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Ki said...

It is amazing how things migrate. They're here then they're not. And now they're there. When I dug up a witch hazel and planted it in another part of the garden, unbeknownst to me along came a huge bunch of crocus. A nice surprise this spring.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger LostRoses said...

I love those kinds of surprises in the garden...those busy squirrels! I can't blame the critters for this but I spaded up a corner of the garden one year and lo and behold poppies bloomed there the next spring. It was from an old planting I had done years before and the poppies had died out, I thought, but turning over the soil rejuvenated them. Talk about a surprise!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

Wow, I'm impressed, you are already thinking about fall ordering. It's smart to keep a couple of seasons ahead if you can manage it.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet it was a squirrel that moved your crocus on you! LOL

Visiting for Green thumb Sundays - just wondering if you're still playing. If you are, don't forget to visit other participants as that's what the meme is all about.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Ottawa Gardener said...

Yup, squirrels. They planted a crocus that flowers yearly by my composter and a canna lily one year though I was dissappointed that it didn't flower.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home