A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Winter Sowing Update

Despite the cold, despite the deluge, seemingly against all odds, two more containers have sprouted. Snapdragon "Plum Blossom" is nothing special. I just think it is pretty. At least the picture is. I tried it once before with no luck. This time I hope to actually see it bloom. Since my yard had lots of shade, I'm always looking for flowers that can tolerate at least some shade. Monkshood fills the bill. Plus I love its other name: Wolfsbane.

Winter Sowing Sprouts!
Bachelor's Buttons
Calendula
Cleome "White Queen"
Cosmos "Seashells"
Johnny-Jump-Ups
Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate
Love-in-a-Mist
Monkshood
Nicotiana alata “Lime Green”
Nicotiana sylvestris
Pansy "Chalon Supreme Mix"
Snapdragon "Black Prince"
Snapdragon "Plum Blossom"
Verbena bonariensis
Wild Purple Foxglove

2 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

'Plum Blossom' Snaps are very pretty! I'll have to try some monkshood next year...my yard is pretty shady too. And I agree: Wolfsbane is a great name for a plant!

Most of my unsprouted containers are still sitting here, unsprouted. Although, I did get my first wintersown tomato sprout a couple of days ago. I don't know what kind it is, since it just came in a package of mixed tomato seeds, but I'm excited nonetheless :-)

Are your sprouts still dinky, or is that just a problem I'm having? Just wondering...

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Colleen, I've got a mixed bag. Some of my seedlings are growing nicely and others can't seem to get beyond the two-leaf stage. Congrats on your tomato sprout!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home