A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, April 16, 2007

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - Rain Delay Day 2


Not surprisingly, the guy who was supposed to work the nightshift last night couldn't make it in from his home in PA so I went in instead. My normal 20 minute commute turned in a 75 minute nightmare of detours around flooded roads. This is what greeted me when I arrived home this morning. These are my neighbors' yards.

My yard is not quite as bad:




And this is why I get water in my basement:

So far my sump pump has been able to keep up with the water so I only have about an inch in some parts of my basement. The rain is tapering off. I'm hoping to be able to get outside tomorrow to assess the damage.

6 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is "Bummer".
I wish you drier weather in the future:)

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

We'll wait as long as we need to wait to see your April blooms. This April has been something else! You have my sympathies...

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

What you got as rain, we got as snow. Looking at those yards, I'm thinking snow was preferable.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yuck - you have my sympathies! This has been a terrible spring so far, hasn't it?

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

OldRoses, this must be so disheartening, and I sure hope it's over soon and that your plants, and your poor neighbors' trees will come through the flooding okay.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kathy, I think the same thing every time I slosh through my basement!

Annie, the water table is very high in my area so the trees are accustomed to very wet roots. Admittedly, it has never flooded this badly before but it is normal to be quite damp in these yards after it rains.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home