A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Day After

Of course, the day AFTER Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day, the first iris decided to bloom.


Nice shot, right? It’s only taken me two years to figure out how to photograph this flower. My first photo in 2005 was my standard “sorry for the lousy background” shot:

In 2006, I managed to eliminate the “ugly” background but the white siding was too bland.

This year, I think I finally got it right. Even the lighting is nicer.

Also blooming the day after GBBD, is my Garden Sage (Salvia officinalis):

I grew this sage from seed. A couple of weeks ago, I bought Golden Sage (S.officinalis icterina) and Tri-Color Sage ( S. officinalis tricolor) plants at a local nursery. They will be going into a new bed I’m creating. More on that later. Also purchased that day, was a Pineapple sage (Salvia elegans) that I planted in the new Butterfly/Hummingbird bed.

3 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this iris, I have one exactly the same in my garden in England which has just come into full bloom.
Sara from farmingfriends

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Sara, do you know what it is called? It was here when I moved into this house over a decade ago so I know nothing about it.

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Lovely Iris, lovely sage and what a lovely picture. ;-) Well done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home