A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, May 13, 2007

First Rose of 2007

The first rose of 2007 has bloomed. Surprisingly, it’s a new rose, not one of my established roses.


This is Rosa Mundi, named for Fair Rosamund , the mistress of King Henry II and one of four roses that I ordered from High Country Roses. The other three were Apothecary Rose, Eglantine Rose and Therese Bugnet. I also ordered two roses from Jackson and Perkins, Ballerina and Sombreuil.

4 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

What a gorgeous rose is Fair Rosamund. Apparently it is a strong and healthy one too.

How is Rory doing?

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Yolanda Elizabet, I should have provided some scale. The flower is quite small. Rory has settled in as if he has lived with us forever. He's a really friendly little guy.

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to buy the Seven Sisters rose bush. Can anyone help me find a nursery that sells them? I live near San Francisco. Thanks, Jean

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The seven sisters rose was introduced to me by my mother-in-law on Lopez Island, WA. She propagated hers from the old family farm on Whidbey Island,WA where she was a child in the late 1920's. I took two cuttings and successfully propagated them in my garden in Kingston, WA. They are very thorny but have oodles of small pink blooms all summer. Perhaps I could send you some cuttings?

I am looking for a good source of Eglantine Roses since I have been told they are deer resistant. Does anyone know if this is true?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home