A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, May 04, 2007

The Jinx Continues. . .

I first saw Greenland tulips on Sylvana's blog. It was love at first sight. I'm fascinated by green flowers. When I was "designing" the bulb planting for the Entry Garden, I wanted a pastel color scheme. Greenland tulips were perfect. Even their timing, late season, was perfect. The bed at the time was a V-shape. I planted the Monet tulips, which are early season bloomers at the base of the V. Bunches of Angelique tulips, which bloom mid-season went on the legs of the V and finally, the Greenland tulips which are late-season went on the ends for a grand finale.

Thanks to the squirrels, I probably won't have a finale, grand or otherwise this year.

They are neatly beheading each plant just as the flower opens.

I wonder if they like Oriental hybrid lilies?

4 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Squirrels. Rabbits. Deer. Why do they plague us so? Sorry to see how your tulips have been beheaded.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

That's terrible! They are evil.
Squirrels are the worst because they will pull up or tear up something and then not even eat it! It feels like they just did it out of spite.

Well, good luck next year!

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger kate said...

It is almost as if the squirrels have a "newly-opened tulip patrol" taking turns watching your garden. It is frustrating when you find the results of their work, but don't ever see them in action. They can do an incredible amount of damage in such a short span of time! At least the Angelique tulips are looking good... and your garden looks quite lovely to me!!

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Carol, unfortunately we have moved into their territory and eliminated their normal food supply. They really have no choice but to feast on our gardens.

Sylvana, there is one squirrel in particular that loves to dig up my bulbs and then sit on my porch railing right outside of my door and eat them in front of me. Now that's spite!

Kate, thank you. I'm trying hard to stay ahead of the squirrels. I even put food out specifically for them hoping that will keep them out of my gardens. No such luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home