A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Minty Fresh

Last year when I planted and tended an herb garden as part of my Master Gardener training, a couple of extra plants "accidentally" ended up in my basket and came home with me. The Lavender Lady was added to the Entry Garden along with the rest of my lavenders. The chocolate mint was confined to a pot and placed on the other side of my sidewalk along with the Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate that I bought at a Master Gardener sale. I don't steal ALL of my plants!

At the end of the gardening season, we were supposed to be able to bring home any of the perennials that we had grown in our herb beds with a few exceptions. One of those exceptions was the chocolate mint. My partner and I were asked to return the two mint plants which had been planted in pots which were in turn "planted" in the beds. They were going to be wintered-over and propogated in a greenhouse because the only other chocolate mint they had was in a large wooden container and wouldn't survive the winter outside in a container.

I beg to differ:

Mine seems to have survived quite well in a MUCH smaller plastic pot in a less than optimal spot, the corner formed by my sidewalk and my driveway.

I'm now in search of a more attractive container. One that will also survive the winter.

5 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Gotta Garden said...

Really? They thought the chocolate mint wouldn't survive! Maybe it was just that yours was so nice they wanted to keep it!

Nothing like rubbing some mint leaves to make you feel a little better! I had a mint conditioner used on my hair at the salon last time...my eyes popped open and I was like "wow'! Love it!

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Hi OldRoses,

Good for you! Weren't you experimenting with hypertufa at one time? My chocolate mint lived on for years in Illinois, overwintering in a small hypertufa container. Since we moved I've managed to croak it repeatedly here in Austin, Texas. One little pitiful patch of an Orange mint survives under a Southern Wax Myrtle.

Now I need some for Saturday since I'm using the KY Derby as an excuse to make mint juleps!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Gotta Garden, I thought it as a strange request because we got the chocolate mint out of the same container where it had over-wintered just fine the year before.

Annie, I've never tried hyper-tufa. Is it less expensive than buying pots? Because all the ones I like are much more than I want to spend.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Sorry about the brain glitch.
Hypertufa cost depends on size - you can make the small ones pretty inexpensively, but the large pieces need thick walls and inner support like chicken wire or hardware cloth. They're messy to make, but fun. There's a whole hypertufa forum on GardenWeb, with a FAQ for basic info.

Annie

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Annie, that sounds like fun. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home