A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, April 27, 2007

More Spring Flowers

All that bulb planting I did last fall has really paid off. Every day it seems that something new is blooming.

This is what happens ten years later when you plant bulbs in the fall and hydrangeas in the spring not realizing how large the hydrangeas will become:

I think it's kind of pretty, though. Here are a couple more of the "pink" daffodils:



I like the double one a lot. I have another double in the Purple Garden in back:


I'm putting more double daffodils on my list for fall. And this is what my front yard looks like now.

It needs more work, but it's more interesting than it was. Last spring I looked around my yard and decided I needed more tulips. I ordered a variety of forms and colors. Among them were these pseudo-Rembrandt tulips.

The "I have no idea how it got there" tulip in the background kind of detracts from it, though.


These red tulips started popping up all over last year. Here's one in what has to be the darkest, weediest, ugliest spot in my yard between my shed and the back fence.


I'm already starting renovation on this area. Last year I began the Wildflower Garden at the entrance and this spring I planted a few ferns along the fence. Eventually I want to convert this to a "Woodland Walk". It's the only idea I could come up with because it gets so little light.


I was very excited to see that the squirrels did not get at the Red Riding Hood tulips. Here is one in bud one day . . .

And blooming the next day. I love the variegated foliage.

As predicted by some commenters, the mystery tulips have developed multiple blossoms.


I've always loved these little fritillaries in catalogs but was hesitant to order them because I know how deceptive the catalog pictures can be. But after seeing pictures of them on other garden blogs, I took the plunge last fall.

The lunaria, or Money Plant, has begun to bloom. I have two colors in my yard. These white ones in the Purple Garden somehow holding their own amongst the lamb's ear and asters . . .


And purple ones growing in the border along the UGF. Those tiny green seedlings are poppies. I saved a ton of seed last year and strewed it all in this bed in March. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

7 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

I love bulbs! I'm reminded every spring how totally they're worth the time and money we spend on them in the fall. Your front bed looks very pretty, btw.

Those 'Little Red Riding Hood' tulips are so sweet! Another one for my (ever-growing) wish list :-)

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Me too, Colleen! And you can plant them and forget them. I'm such a lazy gardener.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Sigrun said...

That second Daffodil on your photos is wonderful, I've never seen before.

Sigrun

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Kerri said...

Your spring flowers are lovely! The double daffs are pretty (I only have one kind of double) and I love the "pink".
How wierd to have those interesting yellow tulips pop up. I like them! Surprises are nice, aren't they? (usually).
I want to try fritillaries. The flower is so unusual with it's checkered coloring.
The first time I saw one was on Sigrun's blog last spring.
I have one tiny foxglove sprout showing in one of my wintersowing jugs. That's it (so far)! Sounds like you've had good luck.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I am a huge fan of bulbs. In fact, spring time is when I feel most satisfied with my garden because the bulbs just make it look so pretty and pulled together!

Squirrels plant all sorts of bulbs. They have planted lilies, crocuses and tulips for me. They take them out of someone else's garden and plant them in mine. I wonder how many of my bulbs have ended up in other people's gardens.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Sigrun, I didn't even realize I had double daffodils until I looked at the photos!

Kerri, a foxglove! How exciting. I have my fingers crossed for both of us. I've wanted foxglove in gardens for years.

Sylvana, I hadn't thought of that! If the squirrels are planting other people's bulbs in my yard, then they MUST be planting my bulbs in my neighbor's yards. I hope they like them!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Beautiful bulbs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home