A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What's Blooming Now

I've been so busy taking pictures of all the spring flowers in my yard, that I've completely neglected to post any. Here's a quick run-down of the past few days:

A crocus, not planted by me, growing by my composter.


Another "pink" daffodil

More garden weirdness. Thalia daffodils growing really well under less than optimal conditions. This little bed gets very weedy no matter how hard I work at it. And it's a race every year for the foliage to store enough food as the bed gets progressively shadier as the leaves develop on the over-hanging tree.
Meanwhile, in the sunny (relatively) weedfree bed by the UGF (Ugly Green Fence), Thalia doesn't do well at all.
It seems to like shade. And competition. This is the Purple Garden which is shaded half the day. These Thalia were planted years ago. They have to compete with aggressively spreading asters. As you can see, they are lovin' it!


Here's an example of disappointment and pleasant surprise in the same bed. These are supposed to be Fortissimo Daffodils. In the catalog, they are large yellow daffodile with bright orange cups. In person, they are pretty but not outstanding. Right behind them. . .


Iris bucharica. It's from Afghanistan and I learned AFTER I planted it last year that it likes wet springs and dry summers. Kinda like Afghanistan. Duh! I was sure it wouldn't make it through our wet New Jersey summer. It not only made it, it spread! Since it is doing so well, I'm going to move it in the fall to the front of the bed to really showcase it in the spring. I love happy surprises, don't you?


Speaking of happy surprises, remember the not so pink daffodil from earlier in the week?


Apparently it opens yellow and then turns "pink". I had read about flowers that change color after they open but had never seen it.

The jury is still out on these tulips.

They are supposed to be a Monet pastel mix of colors. I'm hoping that this is just a case of the white ones opening before the other colors. This is just one bunch, by the way. There are more of them in the bed with the "pink" daffodils. There are also Angelique tulips and Greenland tulips that bloom later in the season. The idea was to maintain a consistent color scheme in the entry Bed through a long blooming season.

I'm convinced that this bed is jinxed!

5 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Thalia dafs are the best!!!! Love those cute little irises, very pretty. So the pink dafs turn pink after a few days, I didn't now that.

I'm glad to see so many spring flowers in your garden! Remember how is was, just a few weeks ago? Things are looking up!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

You're absolutely right, Yolanda Elizabet! I am so thrilled with all the flowers that I almost forget to blog about them. I just want to be outside enjoying them.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

I love those Thalia daffs! Haven't seen them before. Funny how they seem to like the shade and the competition. The Bucharica is interesting and very unusual. I'm glad it's doing well for you.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I love the Thalia. Must get some. It sounds like they probably like cool moist soil which would explain why they do well with a weedy garden.

I also love the Iris bucharica. They look like lady slippers from a distance.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kerri & Sylvana, the Thalia are fragrant too! Another reason to get some.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home