A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, April 30, 2007

Tulip Mania

The jury is in on the Monet tulips: love 'em.



And do you see what's blooming in the upper left corner?



The Angelique tulips! They look like peonies. And here's what the whole bed looks like now:


All that's left to bloom are the Greenland tulips which are late-season. Most of the iris and the lilies survived and are coming along fine. Yes, I know that the bed is very weedy, but it sits on a slope so I am leaving the weeds as long as possible to hold the soil in place. We've had a lot of rain!


The mystery tulips not only have multiple blossoms, they also come in assorted colors:


Less than satisfying are the Peppermint Stick Tulips.


The colors are very washed out. You barely notice them in the garden. Thankfully, the Pencrebar Daffodils are cute as a button:


I was trying to create a "miniatures" garden. I planted the Peppermint Stick tulips, the Pencrebar daffodils and dwarf iris. The squirrels got all of the iris bulbs and the tulips were a a disappointment. Maybe I'll just stick to miniature daffodils in this bed.

Right across the little paved walk is my lilac bush with lily of the valley and violets underneath.


And this is the reason that I keep planting hellebores even though they don't bloom well for me:


They make a really nice groundcover!

7 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger Muum said...

I have some mini tulips that look a lot like yours, only in a red color. I don't really know what they are either. I'll try and post a picture on my blog of them. If you find out, let me know!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Ki said...

Aren't the Angeliques great! And I love the pastel Monets.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Muum said...

Am looking at your pic again, my minis are on a stem, about 6 inches tall. But similar.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Nickie said...

wow! the Angelique tulips are awesome. They are on my wish list now, thanks :)

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

I was so afraid that the Angelique tulips would be disappointing. I have my fingers crossed for the Greenland tulips. They are budded now.

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Muum said...

me again, I appreciated your visitng my blog, would love to be on Garden Voices blogroll, just can't get an email out to you. email me at joycerrvt@yahoo.com if you need any other info- thanks

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, saw your blog and "mystery tulips". They are actually called Tulipa tarda. Supposedly, they are a great ground cover and are supposed to natuaralize well. Good luck with the tulips!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home