A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

Join





This post is dedicated to Kasmira who introduced me to Winter Sowing via her blog, Cincinnati Cape Cod. I sowed 20 containers in late February/early March. When I opened them today to begin the hardening-off process, I discovered that all of them had germinated. The two laggards were Gas Plant (Dictamnus albus 'Purpureus' ) and Great Blue Lobelia. Here is my complete list of winter sown seeds for 2007:

Bachelor's Buttons
Butterfly Weed
Calendula
Cleome "White Queen"
Cosmos "Seashells"
Gas Plant
Great Blue Lobelia
Jewels of Opar
Johnny-Jump-Ups
Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate
Love-in-a-Mist
Monkshood
Nicotiana alata “Lime Green”
Nicotiana sylvestris
Pansy "Chalon Supreme Mix"
Red Swamp Milkweed
Snapdragon "Black Prince"
Snapdragon "Plum Blossom"
Verbena bonariensis
Wild Purple Foxglove

I have to admit to an initial skepticism about the winter sowing concept. I even had duplicate seed packets in reserve "just in case". I am now sold on this technique. I'm already saving containers for next year, 12 so far.



Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

10 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like it working out very well for you, despite a few lagging behind. You'll son be overrun with lovely growing things! Good show!

My GTS was a bit late but is up now.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hello! I'm new to the Green Thumb Sunday, and wanted to introduce myself! I just read about this technique somewhere yesterday, looks like it works well! You did a great job! I need to start saving containers now, too! Well done! :)

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Gotta Garden said...

Winter sowing is great! The plants are so hardy and just take right off! Look at yours! You did great!! I think Gas Plant is a really tough one to germinate (takes a long time), so know that it is not you or winter sowing...

It will be fun to read about all these as they go into your garden!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

All of them germinated? What a wonderful success, well done you!!!! Soon you'll be able to fill your garden with all these lovely plants.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the plastic gallon container idea. My husband uses them for everything. Here's one more use: Mini greenhouses.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Robin's Nesting Place said...

I recently read about the winter sowing and will be trying it next year. I am saving my plastics for future sowing use. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your flowers in bloom.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Now my biggest problem is keeping the squirrels from digging in the containers when I open them during the day!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Seedling said...

I'm new to GTS and am so happy it's led me to a fellow Jersey garden blogger! Congratulations on a productive winter.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger kathy said...

This sounds great! It looks like you good very good germination and big healthy seedlilngs. I'd like to try this too, and it sounds like a good time to start saving some bottles in the back of the garage. Thanks for the idea.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Seedling, where in NJ are you?

Skppy's Mom, I don't have a garage, but I do have shelves in my basement. Making room for my containers has been a great excuse to clean them up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home