A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

Join




I tried for years to get “normal” shade plants to grow in my Shade Garden. Oddly enough, the only plants that did well were iris, daylilies and liatris. A few years ago, I got the bright idea to plant ferns. I had visions of a cool, green corner. My birdbath surrounded by gently waving fronds. I splurged and also bought a Japanese Painted fern which I planted in the front of the bed where it could be seen.


It hated that spot. It moped. It refused to grow. Finally, I took pity on it and moved it to the back of the bed along the fence and between two other ferns that were doing fine. The little fern perked right up! It loved its new home. The only drawback was that it could no longer be seen behind the taller liatris, hellebores and iris.

Instead of a Secret Garden, I have a Secret Plant.



Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home