A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, May 14, 2007

The Weirdness Chronicles 2007 - Chapter 5

Back in the fall of 2005, I planted English Bluebells in my (then new) Wildflower Garden. They sprouted the following spring, but never bloomed. I was disappointed but willing to wait another year. They sprouted again this spring and even appeared to have multiplied. I have been in suspense all spring. Imagine my surprise when I saw this today:

Neither blue nor bell. Anyone have any ideas? I checked my records. The bulbs came from Breck’s, usually a reliable source.

5 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Are the leaves very skinny with a stripe down them, almost like crocus leaves? If so, then you have Star of Bethlehem, which sows itself like crazy and often rides in on a passalong plant. Many people consider it hideously invasive, so you might want to google it and make up your own mind.

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks, Kathy! I'll do that. It's bad enough I have to deal with poison ivy in that bed. I don't need any more pests.

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

It looks like Iphieon to me. Mine is blooming right now.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kylee, I've never heard of that. I'll have to look it up.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Ki said...

It looks like Ipheion to me too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home