A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

More Tulip Hits & Misses

I’m glad that I planted so many new tulips last fall. Not all of them turned out as well as I had hoped but I love all the color in my yard. Like most gardeners, I’m already planning what I’ll be planting and where next fall.


The white lily flower tulips have opened in the Entry Garden. They are even more underwhelming than the pink. None of the tulips I planted in that bed for last year came back. However, I’ve noticed that the Darwin hybrid tulips that I planted years ago in other beds are still making annual appearances. I’m going to keep the pastel color scheme in the Entry Garden, but use Darwin hybrids instead. The only problem I can foresee is that they bloom early in the tulip season. I will have to look for something to bridge the gap until the peonies and iris bloom.


The second type of tulip that makes up the “Purple Dreams” collection in the Purple Garden has opened. It’s Attila and a real looker. I can’t wait for the Shirley tulips to complete this group.


I couldn’t resist including another photo of the wonderful Darwin hybrids that look so spectacular with the iris in the Butterfly/Hummingbird Bed. I’m definitely going to plant more of these in the fall.


I had high hopes for the Parrot tulips that I had planted in the border along the Ugly Green Fence. My hopes have been dashed. So far only this pink and a few whites have opened.


They have not had the impact that I had hoped for against the dark green of the fence. I’m not sure if it’s the flowers themselves or if I planted too few. Perhaps they would stand out more if I had planted more and massed them, rather then arranging them in separate groups.

In addition to changing the types of tulips I plant, I’d like to change the way I plant them. I realized this spring that the reason the daffodils in my yard look so good is that they have been growing and multiplying for years. I have to start planting bulbs in larger quantities. I’m calling it The Carol Look.

7 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, our tulips are in full bloom. we are going for the May round now. I haven't had too much luck with parrot tulips, especially in year 2 and 3. They seem to disappear or only get leaves. I am sure you will find a solution for your fence. Greetings from Germany, Andrea

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Wow, "The Carol Look". I am honored! I've done my one bed of tulips with over 100 tulips, planting it anew each fall, and so far I've been pleased with the statement it makes in the spring.

Right now, it is being whipped around by some high winds, so it has seen better days.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love seeing what's blooming in other areas of the country. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

You always need a lot of bulbs to make an impact in your garden, far more than you had thought at first. Not all tulips come back year after year. It does help though if you plant them a bit deeper than what it says on the packet. Put a bit of grit or sand underneath the tulip bulb when you plant it and as soon is the bulb is almost in flower start feeding it with an organic fertilizer. That way you have a better chance of them coming back next year. No garantuees though!

BTW I read the article about Garden Voices. :-)

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Naturegirl said...

Beautiful signs of Spring in your garden!
I'm back home now from Arizona! Miss all the cacti in bloom but my own garden is showing signs of life beginning!

May your joys be as bright as the morning and as colorful as the flowers you posted!!
Happy MOther's Day! hugs NG

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger kate smudges said...

I haven't visited your blog for a long while - that's the thing with Twitter. I keep up with your activities there!

Your tulips were pretty - I agree about massing them for the best effect against the fence.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Alice said...

I thinks tulips must be one of the most 'hit-you-in-the-eye' flowers around, and yours are beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home