A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, April 18, 2008

Daffodil Mania

The daffodils seem to be peaking now. More of the Tahiti daffodils have opened.


I really like them now that they are fully open.


Here’s a disappointment:


Geranium daffodils. They are heirlooms from 1930. The cups are supposed to be orange.

Never a disappointment, Actaea daffodils.


Developed in the 1920’s, this is the flower that turned me on to heirloom flowers.

The Thalia daffodils along the Ugly Green Fence are doing much better this year than past years.


The Fortissimo daffodils just keep getting better.


As do the iris Bucharica.


I raked out that bed twice already! Where are the leaves coming from?

My favorite Red Riding Hood tulips are back.


But only the original ones. The ones I planted last fall still haven’t made up their minds if they are going to grace us with their presence or not.

I love unintended combinations that turn out particularly well. Birds probably planted this lunaria in front of my house.


It looks well with the Darwin hybrid tulips that come back year after year and the grape hyacinths that multiply every year.

Even my neighbor’s trees are beautiful at this time of year before they have completely leafed out and shading my yard.

4 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice and interesting blog! Nice photos!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Don't you just love daffodils? I used to think they were so ordinary when I was younger, until I started my own garden as an adult and found that they came in different varieties and not "just yellow".

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Connie said...

Wow...nice line-up of Daffodils! I've been eagerly awaiting "Pink Charm" which was supposed to be white with pink around the edge of the cup. Was disappointed when they finally bloomed, NOT pink but apricot-peach instead. :-(

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Connie, I succumbed to a pink daffodil collection last year. You're right. They're not pink, more of a salmon. This year they're even more orange than last year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home