A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Weirdness Chronicles 2008 - Chapter 3

In the fall of 2005, I ordered a Martagon lily. It is reputed to need filtered sunlight so I though it would be perfect on the edge of my semi-shady garden. In due course, it came up in the spring of 2006 and was promptly eaten by the squirrels. Or maybe a rabbit. It really doesn’t matter. The end result was the same: no lily.

I didn’t bother trying to replace it that fall and I wasn’t at all surprised when it didn’t make a second appearance in the spring of 2007. No foliage meant no food for the bulb. I had already moved on to trying columbine in that spot.

So what’s this?


It looks suspiciously like a lily, doesn’t it? It’s in the exact spot where I planted the Martagon lily. Three years ago. So where has it been and what has it been doing all these years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home