A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hyacinths

I don’t have many hyacinths. Like tulips, they don’t last long. The first time I planted them en masse, was at my last house, an old Victorian. I planted them all around the wrap-around porch. They looked good and at least at first, were wonderfully fragrant. But their perfume grew cloying. I started using my backdoor to avoid the odor.

The Purple Garden was originally planted by my daughter. Purple is her favorite color. Not surprisingly, she planted purple hyacinths. What is surprising, at least to me, is how long they have lasted.


These were planted seven or eight years ago.


They no longer look very good nor are they very fragrant but I cheer them on every year. Their longevity has been astounding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home