A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

Last year we had a very cold spring so I didn’t have a lot of flowers for my first April Bloom Day. It was so cold, in fact, that I posted a picture from 2006 to illustrate what a “normal” spring looks like. This year we have had normal spring weather.

April 15, 2006

April 17, 2007

April 15, 2008


Other than the fact that I am way behind in my spring clean-up and edging, 2008 looks very much like 2006.

So, what else is blooming?


Pineapple Prince continues to delight. The pink daffodils that could almost pass for pink last year are even less pink this year.




Golden Beauty is still golden and still beautiful.


The new Candy Color tulips, like every other collection I have tried, are blooming one color at a time.


Or maybe the rabbits dug up and ate all the other colors.

I love grape hyacinths.


This year I noticed that they have escaped into the lawn. I am mowing very, very carefully.



Okay, these are my neighbor’s daffs. But they are along the edge of my driveway and I think they’re gorgeous.

My usual pot of pansies from Lowes.


Lunaria is starting to bloom.



Hard to believe that I raked out this bed last week. Where did all those leaves come from?

Thalia daffodils blooming their heads off.


Very fragrant. So glad that they are next to the door to my shed instead of the door to my house so that I don’t tire of their scent. Note the lupines just coming up. I’m hoping for blooms this year.

Fortissimo daffodils getting better and brighter by the day.


Here’s something that’s not supposed to happen:


Iris Bucharica, a native of Afghanistan, likes dry summers. This is their third year coming up in my garden despite the wet NJ summers. Not only are they surviving, they are thriving and multiplying every year.


You knew I was going to sneak the hellebores in somehow, didn’t you?

Lots and lots of violets.


Finally, I will leave you with an almost bloom:


Buds on my Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart, one of my favorite springtime flowers.

1 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Looks like daffodil paradise. And I like the comparison between the different years. Last year was a tough spring, wasn't it?
Thanks for joining in for bloom day again.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

 

Post a Comment

<< Home