A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tulip Mania

The tulips are beginning to bloom. Some disappointing, others breathtaking. Among the disappointing are the first of the lily-flowered tulips.


I was hoping for tall and stately. These are nothing to write home about. I’m happy about the little rosebush in the corner. It’s a Therese Bugnet that I though died last year. I left it in place and suddenly it has come back to life. Gotta love those tough old heirlooms.

The squirrels/rabbits are falling down on the job.


More colors from the this collection are showing up. I’m not sure that I like the orange/red with the lavender.

Here’s something to get excited about:


I was very disappointed with these Peppermint Stick tulips last year. They have returned and multiplied. I love it!

A Zurel tulip, part of the “Purple Dreams” collection:


Oh, yes. Definitely dreamy.

Here’s an unplanned combination that worked out well.


Lunaria and Thalia daffodils.

In fact, I really like how the lunaria looks against the Ugly Green Fence.


The iris Bucharica gets better every day.


Yes, that’s a beheaded tulip. No, I’m not sure who is doing the beheading.

The hellebores just won’t quit.


I wish I had some other colors, though. They do come in other colors, right?

And the “Flower of the Day” award goes to . . .


Fritillaria meleagris aka Guinea Hen Flower. Only one or two came up last year. This year there are more. I’m hoping for more flowers also.

1 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger Julia Erickson said...

I love your posts. We have so many flowers in common.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home