A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

Join




Last January, a fellow Master Gardener who has a huge Night Blooming Cereus, was helping to clean out the home of a friend who has passed away and who had a Night Blooming Cereus that was originally a cutting from his own. He had no room in his house for it, so he was transporting it to another friend’s home. In the process, a small piece broke off which he was kind enough to give to me.

I was able to successfully root it but then it did nothing for months. I had never grown a Night Blooming Cereus before so I had no idea what to expect. When spring arrived, I turned my attention to my gardens and other than watering it regularly, paid no attention to it.

I still have a few chores left to do outside, but my focus is turning back to my houseplants, which ones need repotting, which ones need dividing. I took a good look at my Night Blooming Cereus and realized that it had grown tremendously. It has many new leaves. If you click on the photo and enlarge it, you will see that it has two new shoots.

By the way, this is the same set of windows that was in my very first Green Thumb Sunday post. I still haven’t painted the trim, but I did paint the walls. How do you like that purple?



Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

4 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger verobirdie said...

What a nice surprise you have had!
It is so rewarding to see a plant grow.

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Mark said...

That sums up gardeners for me, always willing to sahre their plants.
Love the purple..
If you wanted to you can follow this link on my blog http://thegreenfingeredphotographer.blogspot.com/2007/11/voice-behind-blog.html that takes you to a Wiggly Wigglers podcast, it is podcast 109 and it is about the wildlife garden that I have created at my work place.

Cheers Mark

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger this said...

I wonder what it will look like in bloom...have been fascinated since I came across plants that flowered in moonlight only. Something pretty amazing about creating a night blooming garden.

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to be given a plant. It will be fun waiting for it to bloom. Sara from farmingfriends

 

Post a Comment

<< Home