A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, October 19, 2007

Houston, we have a problem . . .

Next week I'm taking the entire week off from work to do my fall planting/transplanting. Thanks to the recent drought, I wasn't able to do any preparation ahead of time in my beds. It's kind of difficult to dig new beds and enlarge old ones when the ground is so hard that you can't get a shovel into it. I've been reviewing my bulb purchases so I can plan a little strategy to get as much done as possible during my week off.

I went a little overboard on tulips this year. I'm enlarging the entry garden which has pink daffs and pastel tulips already. I'm adding Candy Coloured tulips:




Last spring, my neighbors across the street had the loveliest white lily tulips. I'm adding pink ones and white ones to my entry garden:




After years of agonizing, I've finally decided what to plant along the Ugly Green Fence. Parrot Tulips! The dark green should really show off their vibrant colors. I ordered two types. An assortment and then some green ones.



In the accidental herb garden, I'm planting tulips that were popular when I was a child, now considered heirlooms. Burgundy Lace tulips.


I loved the Red Riding tulips so much this spring that I'm adding more.


For the Purple Garden, I ordered a "Purple Dreams Collection" and some Queen of the Night tulips.



And last, but not least, I ordered this lovely collection of Darwin tulips to plant in the . . .


Oh, no! I can't remember where I wanted to put these. All those spreadsheets with catalog names, bulb names, number of bulbs and nowhere did I record where I was going to plant anything.


Drat!

5 Comments:

At 4:28 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Don't worry you'll find space for those tulips too, we gardeners always do. I personally feel that you can never have enough tulips, but then I'm Dutch. ;-)

BTW Love those Burgundy Lace tulips!

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger verobirdie said...

This is going to be gorgeous!
I've planted some tulips too this year, but just a few tall one, because the wind in no good for them. I've put them in the south, close to the house, hoping that they will be sheltered.
For other places, I consider some botanic ones, since they are much shorter.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

OldRoses... I noticed you got the same spam comment I did earlier today. I deleted it as soon as I saw it. Yuck!

Anyway, a whole week off to garden, how wonderful! Your spring garden is going to be beautiful.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

What a wonderful array of tulips. My favorites are the lily flowering ones and they're pretty reliable -I've had them in my garden for many years.

You're lucky to have a week off to plant all the bulbs. What a great show you'll have for Spring.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks everyone! And thank you Carolyn for alerting me to the dreadful spam. I can't wait for spring and all the color the tulips will bring to my yard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home