A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, October 11, 2007

For Colleen

This post is dedicated to Colleen of In The Garden Online who loves chrysanthemums.

I have one mum that has been hardy for years. I don’t know why it has lasted so long in this spot. It’s in deep shade until the lone tree in front of my house loses its leaves in November.


Every year I am surprised at how bright yellow it is. It’s a welcome splash of color at a time when everything else has faded away.


I probably should move it or divide it or something but I hate to disturb a plant that has done and continues to do so well.

2 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Thanks for this, OldRoses! You captured my whole love of mums here: they are a wonderful, welcome splash of color when most other things are fading.

Isn't it funny where things will choose to grow sometimes? I coddled several mums near my front porch last year, keeping them watered and mulched well once we had a freeze. None came back. The one that I was sure would die, out in my island bed, is thriving and blooming again this year. I'm with you---I wouldn't move it either. It looks happy there.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Colleen, I always forget about this mum. I spend the entire growing season ranting about non-hardy hardy mums and then this one pops up every fall to remind me that some are hardy and beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home