A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’

I fell in love with Jack Frost Brunnera when I saw it in a magazine. I think it was one of their featured plants. One look at the prices in the catalogs (Whiteflower Farm wanted $20.95 for ONE!) and I decided to wait a few years until it became more common and the gardening world had moved on to the next “it” plant.

Garden blogs, especially those with great photos, have become my downfall. I can resist photos in catalogs and magazines because they have been photo-shopped to look their best. Garden bloggers on the other hand, other than a quick tidy-up of the plant and surrounding area, post “real” photos of the plants in their gardens. Right? You guys aren’t manipulating colors, sizes or shapes?

This past spring it seems every other garden blog was sporting mouth-watering pictures of Jack Frost Brunnera. It was torture. I just HAD to have one. I looked all over locally but couldn’t find any (and this fall, I still can’t). I hated to order from a catalog because the plants are tiny and very often not in the best of shape when they arrive.

I finally succumbed to temptation and plunked down $16.95 plus shipping to Dutch Gardens. If you know somewhere where I could have gotten it cheaper, please keep it to yourself. I have never spent so much money on a single plant in my entire life!

Today, FedEx delivered a humongous carton to my doorstep. I figured it had to be one of my mega bulb orders but it felt awfully light for dozens of bulbs. I opened it and found this:


Isn’t it gorgeous? It’s HUGE! And healthy. And I so hope that I don’t kill it.

7 Comments:

At 2:53 AM, Blogger verobirdie said...

I'm glad you had this nice surprise.
I hope it will bring you many years of happiness :-)

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I have actually spent over $20 for a plant that I wanted -- a couple of times. This plant should give you years of beauty - you will not regret it.

I have "Looking Glass". I paid about the same for mine. The first couple of years it stayed pretty small, but now it is starting to spread very, very slowly. It is absolutely gorgeous! Even when it isn't flowering.

I was surprised that Dutch Gardens sent you such a beautifully well maintained plant. I will definitely have to give them a try!

That's another thing I love about garden blogs -- you can see where other gardeners are getting the good stuff!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Very striking! What a wonderful addition to your garden. My only advice is to watch for leaves that revert to all green and remove them. This will ensure you keep the variegated form going.

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Verobirdie, thanks for the well wishes. Cross your fingers for me that I don't kill it.

Sylvana, I don't feel so badly now for paying so much. Except that I have a real knack for killing things.

Carol, thank you so much for the great advice! I would never have known otherwise.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Connie said...

That is a very healthy looking plant and I am impressed with it's size! I have several of the green form, which I bought at a local plant club sale. I love the blue of the flowers which look like forget-me-nots.
I have only bought one plant in that price range...my Sundown echinacea. Sometimes is it okay to splurge and reward ourselves with something special for our gardens!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Champagne taste, beer budget. I've had 'Jack Frost' for several years now and I think it's well worth the price. The leaves are beautiful for a very long time and it adds such sparkle to an otherwise dull area.

I must say I've never seen a better looking mail order plant. You'll soon forget about the price and just enjoy the beauty.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

I bought Jack Frost Brunnera this summer too. Found a beautiful big gallon-size plant at a local perennial nursery for $10..a great bargain, though that's a lot for me to spend on a single plant too :) I guess it depends on the plant you're buying, doesn't it? I think this one's pretty special. I wonder if we saw it in the same magazine (Garden Gate)??
Yours is a fine looking speciman and in great shape! Mine is looking good. It likes moist shade.
P.S. I'd miss the winters here if I could :) But the fall is glorious indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home