A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Frost!

I’m working nights this week, covering for a vacationing employee. It was 37 F (3 C) when I left my house last night. My car was covered with frost when I left the office this morning.

It wasn’t a killing frost but the tender plants definitely felt it. The Lion’s Tail (which never bloomed for me) and the Tithonia are drooping. Even the nasturtiums that had been threatening to take over my driveway were overcome by the cold.

The good news is that I can remove the annuals from the Butterfly/Hummingbird bed and not feel guilty about destroying perfectly good plants. I have a lot of work to do in that bed, moving perennials and planting bulbs.

Snow flurries predicted for this weekend!

6 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

We had a heavy frost this morning, too. Only the pansies and some mums weren't "flattened" by it. Ah, winter again! I'm like you, I hate to pull out annuals that are still looking okay, even though I know in a few weeks they'll be dead as doornail.

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Amy Urquhart said...

As I type this our back yard is completely covered in a heavy, white frost. It almost looks like snow, and will, until the sun touches the ground later this morning.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

Killing frost this morning in SW Connecticut. Time to clean up the annuals!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Gardenmomma Chris said...

I know it's coming, I know it's coming!!! But I hope we have a few more weeks until IT does. I have so much more to do!!! Okay... you start the cleanup and I'll join you in a little white!
Have a great week. Chris

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Muum said...

We had an inch of much needed rain and an hard frost last night. Still have a lot of bulbs to plant (half price sale, y'know)

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Connie said...

We had frost 2 weeks ago. It always feels kind of good to get the garden cleaned up done before the really cold weather hits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home