A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, October 28, 2007

More Bulbs

It poured for the past two days and now I only have today left of my vacation. Time to get cracking and get my bulbs planted. Before I got started, I took a quick look around the areas where I had planted bulbs and spread the hot peppers. The rain didn’t seem to make any difference. There is no evidence of squirrel depredations.

I started in the Purple Garden with the Queen of the Night tulips and then the Purple Dreams collection. I moved to the very back of my yard and added Red Riding Hood tulips in the same area as I had planted them last year.

I need a hard frost to kill off all the annuals in the Butterfly/Hummingbird Garden. That is where I have decided to plant the Darwin Tulips. In the meantime, I planted Tahiti daffs:



I have another orphan bulb: Geranium daffodils


Since they are heirlooms (introduced 1930), I decided to put them in the Accidental Herb Garden with the Burgundy Lace tulips.

Finally, I headed over to the Entry Garden to widen it in to create homes for all the bulbs I had ordered for it. I knocked off early today. I’m tired and achy. I hope I’m not getting sick.

Totals for today:

6 Queen of the Night tulips
10 Shirley tulips (Purple Dreams collection)
10 Zurel tulips (Purple Dreams collection)
10 Attila tulips (Purple Dreams collection)
6 Red Riding Hood tulips
5 Tahiti daffodils
6 Geranium daffodils

4 Comments:

At 5:18 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Beautiful photos. I'm glad you were able to get all of those bulbs planted. I'm looking forward to the photos next spring.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Isn't it funny how we refuse to pull out annuals until there has been a hard frost/freeze to kill them off, even though we know they won't last much longer, anyway?

Good job on the bulbs... stay well...

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger kate said...

Your garden will be looking grand come spring. I love Queen of the Night tulips ... mine don't seem to ever come up. I'm trying again this year. Hopefully some will come up!

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've done a good day's work there, how wonderful to enjoy them later...

*dreaming about the spring*

The first snowflakes have come here making it hard to spot any flowers... But the snow didn't stay. Yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home