A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day


Welcome to my garden in July! The hanging baskets have filled out. The wintersown Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate have reached the bottom of one of the baskets and have just begun to bloom.


The Nikko Blue hydrangeas are past their prime. I love this transient color as they fade.


The Strawberry Jar Experiment has been wildly successful. I didn’t have to raise it on bricks. The nasturtium foliage exploded over the asters. Interspersed among the leaves are orange and yellow blossoms.


My newest hosta, given to me by a Special Gardener and then nearly destroyed when I stepped on it, is blooming. I’ve never seen striped hosta flowers.


The Entry Garden continues to disappoint. The only annuals that germinated and grew were Bachelor’s Buttons.


Muscadet gets more spectacular every day. I have high hopes for the rest of the lilies. I’m slowly learning what grows well here. Yarrow and lavender, both past their prime now, in particular love this bed.


I think this is probably the last GBBD for the pansies. They have held up amazingly in the heat.




The squirrels seem to have lost interest in digging in my containers. Both the New Guinea impatiens and the impatiens have grown up enough to hide most of the damage.


Here’s another example of unplanned plantings. I love the look of the Echinacea and Lunaria.


Right next door, Shasta Daisies.


I don’t know what these are. They came as a freebie with a plant order years ago. No matter how much I abuse them, they come up faithfully year after year.


I can’t figure out how the liatris survives in my shade garden with just a tiny bit of sun every morning.




The reds of the Hummingbird Garden surrounded by . . .





Rudbeckia is everywhere!



Here’s another successful experiment. Morning glories climbing the trellis to which I added string.


Morning glories climbing the Ugly Green Fence. And more rudbeckia.


The petunias are nearly hidden now by balsam. . .


. . . and more wintersown Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate.


Zebrina struggling out of the weeds.


The poppies are also holding up well in the heat. There are the usual singles as well these doubles and in the background, picotee.

These yarrow are really strange. I moved them to this border last fall and they bloomed prostrate like this. I attributed it to the fact that they had just been transplanted. They are doing the same thing this year. I'm going to be moving this yarrow again this coming fall to the Entry Garden where the other yarrow has done so well. It will be interesting to see if it continues its prostrate habit.

Canterbury Bells that refuse to die.



Rudbeckia galore!


Canterbury Bells and Echinacea


Not only have I seen many fewer bees this year, but also almost no butterflies. My butterfly bush is in full bloom and as you can see, there is not a butterfly in sight.


At the base of the butterfly bush a few Johnny Jump-Ups peek out oblivious to the hot July weather.

9 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

The plant looks like pink coreopsis to me. Also, dianthus often does well in the same conditions lavender likes.

(P.S. don't feel obliged to respond to this comment)

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Kathy, thanks for the ID. My problem with dianthus is that after a few years, the plants sprawl all over the place and look really ugly. I've stopped planting it. I have to admit that I've only grown heirloom varieties. Perhaps newer hybrids are better behaved?

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Bev said...

You have some lovely flowers. I especially like the photo of the hosta bloom with the blue hydrangea in the background...gorgeous! And your red humming bird garden is great. (and ditto, please don't feel obliged to respond)

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

You've certainly got a lot going on in your garden in July. I know you garden for yourself but your neighbors must be impressed by all the variety you have.

Thanks for participating in Garden Bloggers Bloom Day again!

Carol at May Dreams Gardens

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Kathy is so right. I love pink thread-leaf coreopsis for its long bloom and cheerful good looks.

Isn't July wonderful with so much in bloom ?

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Bev, I can't wait for the big red zinnias to bloom in the Hummingbird Garden. I grew them last year and they were spectacular. Of course, I am partial to zinnias!

Carol, most of my neighbors have complimented me on my flowers. I'm always embarassed because like most gardeners, I only see what went wrong, not what looks really good.

Carolyn Gail, I'm learning to appreciate July more and more. For many years, that was my "gap" month between the spring flowers and the annuals taking off in August. I'm getting better at succession planting.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Entangled said...

Aren't those Muscadet lilies just spectacular? Mine are going to be finished soon, but they're gorgeous while they last.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I especially enjoyed the Lunaria photo and ID. I saw some in Cape May this week and took a photo because they took me back to my childhood. I was going to have to go on a treasure hunt to figure out what they were! I spent my early years in Westfield, NJ and remember it from those days -- we must have had some in our yard or neighborhood. I wonder if it's particularly prevalent or popular in NJ....

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

You have lots of lovely blooms! I love July for all the color in the gardens. My rudbeckia hirta (Gloriosa Daisies) is everywhere and looking gorgeous. My only complaint is that they're crowding out some of the other perennials, including a few daylilies. They like to grow where they choose, not where I choose!
I must try Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate one of these days. I saw it first at the Cornell Plantations (I think you named it for me) and loved it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home