A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, July 09, 2007

Green Thumb Monday

Life happens. Mundane stuff like oil changes and vet appointments crowd out the fun stuff like gardening and blogging. To celebrate my return to regular posting, I’m sharing an exciting event in my garden:


One of my Blackberry Lilies which I grew from seed blossomed this morning. Blackberry Lilies (Belamcanda chinensis) are not lilies. They are related to iris. Their foliage, which can be seen in the photo above, looks exactly like iris foliage. These perennials are native to China and Japan. Much like my orange daylilies, each flower will only last a day. Once finished, seed pods form filled with clusters of black seeds resembling blackberries. They are easy to grow from seed or can be propagated by division like iris.

6 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger Naturegirl said...

I can appreciate your excitement in seeing this foreign lily bloom!I get that way when my exotic lilies blossom! One stem only with so many blossoms and we get so excited!
Happy gardening to you! hugs NG

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

It's just gorgeous! I'll have to try to get my hands on some seed. How long from sowing has it taken this sweetie to bloom?

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

NatureGirl, I always get so excited whenever something I've never grown before actually blooms!

Colleen, this is a perennial so it took two years. All I had was foliage last year.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Rosengeranium said...

I admire your patience. I'm one of those growing nasturtium because it's easy and they grow fast...

Congrats on the beautiful flower!

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Rosengeranium, I love nasturtiums too! I'm growing four different kinds this year.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

Are these also known as "candy lilies" because they look just like what I have in my garden - except most of mine are a raspberry color. I started them from seed - very easy! And they are good for varying texture as well as the lovely flowers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home