A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Weirdness Chronicles 2007 - Chapter 7


My first introduction to Rutgers Gardens was a course on dividing perennials in the spring of 2005. For some reason in that post, I failed to mention the monarda I brought home. It has been a foster child ever since, constantly moving from bed to bed, never staying more than one season anywhere. I just couldn’t decide where I wanted it. But it kept finding its way back to the Purple Garden where I finally allowed it to stay last year. It rewarded me by blooming this year. And now I know why it wanted to be here.

There’s just one problem. This is the original clump that it came from:

As far as I know, there is only scarlet bee balm at Rutgers Gardens.

5 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Blogger Gardenmomma Chris said...

It's definitely happy there, huh? Looks like it might be a passalong plant to me! Have a great week!

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I planted bee balm last year, and it has yet to bloom! Does it just take a while or what? I thought maybe last year was just so hot and dry here that maybe that's what caused it, but this year, nothing......any ideas?
Happy Gardening!! :)

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger ~~ Melissa said...

Mine did the same thing! I had a really rich red colour and after transplanting, it bloomed a colour whiter than what you have there. Apparently we are not in control of this natural world....lol.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

That actually looks like the color of the wild monarda around here. Could it have been a seedling of a hybrid gone back to it's natural form? Maybe it is a non-conformist insisting on being what it wants to be.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Ottawa Gardener said...

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like wild beebalm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home