A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Saturday, June 23, 2007

More Garden Surprises

The yarrow in the Entry Garden has surprised me again. Not only has it grown tremendously in size, but it also appears to be of more than one color. Last year, it did bloom a little and I recall that the flowers were pink. When it began to bloom this year, the flowers were the expected pink:


As the buds opened on another clump, I noticed that they were more of a salmon color:


I kinda like this color! The last clump has bloomed and those flowers are white:


Three clumps, each a different hue.

7 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I have some of this yarrow. Mine will have shades of dark pink to white all from the same creeping plant! I was afraid that it would be aggressive, but I have had the same plant for 7 years and it barely doubles in size from year to year.

Hope you get more shades too!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Connie said...

Very pretty shades...but I especially like the pink!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger LostRoses said...

Nice surprise! I see my yarrow are "reaching" for the sun. I planted them in a spot that doesn't get quite enough.

 
At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are very pretty shades. All the wild Yarrow that I've seen is white so I wonder how they developed these colors?

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger kate said...

That is so cool! I wonder what causes this ... I love the idea of different colours and also that they aren't the usual vivid yellow Yarrow. Now that is a plant that strays like mad everywhere in a flower garden.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Jean said...

I love your yarrow. Love the colors!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Hi OldRoses - I've been catching up with your latest posts and you've been busy!

I also like the salmon yarrow - but would keep an eye on them. The upright filipendulinas in yellow and gold don't seem to spread much, but those sprawling millefolium are territorial!

Your photos contrasting the pond garden in winter and June were lovely - wow that garden really fills in, doesn't it?

Don't give up on the Hyacinth Bean teepee - it could still work once they 'catch'. Those beans were always late starters for me, enjoying the heat and blooming in late summer. I've seen just a couple of plants cover a huge trellis or engulf a tree. So good luck!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

 

Post a Comment

<< Home