Experiments Update - June
It’s been a month and time for an update on the three experiments that I am running in my gardens this year. The morning glories are still not large enough to begin climbing the trellis additions that I made with string.
The strawberry pot planted with nasturtiums and chocolate mint has been hugely successful so far. You can barely see the container.
I can’t wait for this to bloom. The surrounding asters have grown so much that I am considering raising the pot on bricks. The plant growing through the nasturtiums on the right is one of my wintersown Kiss-Me-Over-The-Garden-Gate. There are half a dozen of them planted in this bed, one of which has begun to bloom. It will be making its debut on the June GBBD.
The Hyacinth Bean Tepee looks to be a dismal failure. Of the 25 seeds that I sowed less than a dozen germinated. The squirrels did chew a few, but the rest are suffering from a failure to thrive. I have a feeling that the problem is the source of the seeds. The germination rate on most of the seeds that I got from Park Seed this year has been just terrible. I will try the tepee again next year with seed from a different source and see if that makes a difference.