A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Friday, June 08, 2007

Success


One of last year’s experiments was Canterbury Bells. They are a biennial so I had to wait until this year for the results. I planted the seeds last year. They germinated well. In the fall, I transplanted the young plants all over the border along the Ugly Green Fence. They rewarded me by literally shooting up this spring. Now they are bursting into bloom just as the peonies have finished. So far I have white, pink (pictured above) and purple.

They are reputed to not reseed well so I have already sown seeds for next year’s bloom. This experiment has been so successful that I am planning on expanding it to the infamous Entry Garden. I am hoping to have enough plants by the fall to fill both the original border and the Entry Garden.

Remember those single peonies that I fell in love with but had no idea where to plant them? I do now. I love the peonies to Canterbury bells succession. I’m either going to move the doubles into the Entry Garden and plant the singles in their place along the Ugly Green Fence or leave the doubles where they are and plant the singles in the Entry Garden.

I’ve found a source for the single peonies at John Scheepers. They even carry heirloom varieties. I’m ordering three: Doreen (1949, magenta-rose), Jan van Leeuwen (1928, white) and Sea Shell (1837, ballerina-pink).

11 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, Blogger Carol Michel said...

Those are very pretty flowers in your garden. It's hard to find good tall flowers like that. Ya done good!

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Bells! You inspire me to go out and plant seeds.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Jane O' said...

In recent years I've gotten away from seed planting. It's too easy to go to my local greenhouse. But I think I'll give these a try. I need something to follow peonies also.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Thanks all! These are so easy to grow from seed. I just had to find a spot in my yard that had enough sun for them. This was my third (and final) try.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

I haven't grown Canterbury Bells before, but this makes me want to try them! Especially since you had such fabulous results from seed. And I too like the idea of having something really pretty to follow the peonies.

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger LostRoses said...

Oh, I forgot about Canterbury Bells! Yours look great. When I had them in my garden it was the one plant everyone commented on and wondered what it was. I should have planned ahead like you and planted more seeds and then maybe I'd still have some.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Sylvana said...

I have tried to grow these before without any luck - no plants at all. I might give this another try though seeing how beautiful yours turned out!

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful reward for your patience! Congratulations, those are gorgeous!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Ki said...

Wow, spectacular growth and flowers on the Campanula. We planted several last year but they didn't survive the winter.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Gardenmomma Chris said...

Canterbury bells are just the perfect addition to a cottage garden! Great photo!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Looks like they were well worth the wait! Beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home