A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My New Love

I planted my plot at Rutgers Gardens on a cool, cloudy Saturday with intermittent showers. The perfect day for setting out seedlings. A thunderstorm the following afternoon thoroughly drenched the Gardens, perfect for helping seedlings get settled into their new home. The weather forecast for the week leading up to the Memorial Day holiday is not as favorable. No rain and rising temperatures. I went to the Gardens this morning to water. I gave my plants a long drink of water, dragged the hose over to the other volunteer’s plot that was planted the same day and gave it a long drink of water too.

Then I took a walk. I’ve been looking forward to seeing the Rhododendron and Azalea Garden in bloom.


I like them much better in a woodland setting than in the typical suburban landscape. The colors seem more interesting than jarring.


I can appreciate their unique forms so much better in a naturalistic setting.


The path I was on led into the Native Plants area.



From there it was a few short steps to the Sun and Shade Garden.


I’m going to frame this one.


My last stop was the new Tribute Gardens, still being built. They will be a series of “outdoor rooms”. Right now they are working on the “Recreation Room” which will have a pair of oversized Adirondack chairs. And that’s where I saw them.


It took me a few minutes to recognize what I was looking at because I had only ever seen them in catalogs. Single peonies.


They are among those very rare flowers that look better in person than in pictures


I’m in love*.

I’ve added them to my wishlist for next year. Yes, I have a list for next year already! I’m trying to be more organized about gardening. Instead of wracking my brains during the winter trying to remember all those great plants I wanted to try and/or where I wanted to plant them, I’m making a list as I go along. It has the plants, where I can order/buy them and where I would like to plant them. In some cases, like these peonies, I have no idea where I would like to plant them, just that I HAVE to have them.

*The pictures are of three different plants hence the different colors.

7 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

That fern photo is awesome! I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has a wishlist a year (or more!) ahead of time :-)

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love that fern photo, too! The singles do have a charm and grace that their floozy cousins lack. Not to mention that they don't flop a bunch like the doubles.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

And would this list you're making happen to be a spreadsheet by any chance, hmmmm?

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Colleen, thanks! I wasn't sure if I should admit to my obssessive listmaking.

Kim, no flopping? That's great news.

Kathy, of course I'm doing it on a spreadsheet. Which will eventually be added to my database. I'm venturing into Access now.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Single peonies really do have a special beauty - I used to have an assortment of peonies and liked them all. Maybe some singles have nice scents, but mine didn't have that expected peony smell - maybe it takes all the petals jammed together like a mop to be so fragrant?
Have fun with your new love, OldRoses!

Annie

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Annie, I will be sure to stop and smell and the peonies!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Ki said...

The peonies are just stunning and what a wonderful photo of the fern. Almost like a green spiderweb. And the fringe tree looks great. I just bought one. I wanted the Chionanthus retusus the Chinese fringe tree but was only able to find C. virginicus, a foot tall specimen with flowers on it already!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home