A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

Join



The infamous Entry Garden is slowly filling in. The yarrow were volunteers that were slated for compost at the Master Gardener veggie garden. I slipped them into my basket last May, brought them home, planted them temporarily in another bed and then again here when this bed was finished last June. The lavenders were languishing in the Purple Garden. I moved them to this bed in June 2006 also. They seem to be doing better here. The tiny rosebush is The Fairy. I bought it for less than $5.00 at the local drug store a few years ago. It, too, was in another bed and moved into this one last June. This is one tough little rose. The squirrels gnawed most of the new growth off in the spring but it kept putting out new leaves and managed to stay ahead of them until other spring plants became available to the squirrels.



Gardeners, Plant and Nature lovers can join in every Sunday, visit As the Garden Grows for more information.

3 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

The Fairy rose is as tough as old boots. It has to be in your garden with all those squirrels wreaking havoc!

I had the Fairy in my previous garden too. It's a lovely rose that flowers for months and months on end.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Andrea's Garden said...

Hello, thank you for leaving a comment in my blog. I just planted three of the fairies and they are taking off well. In KS where I lived for a looong time I used to have lots of squirrels, but then my back yard was more a football field since my twins were small back then. Anyhow, I will drop by whenever I can. I enjoyed reading your blog.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Yolanda Elizabet, I'm so glad to hear that they are tough! I really love the tiny flowers.

Exile61, twins! Oh, my! I hope your fairy roses do well for you too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home