A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Monday, May 21, 2007

Silly String

I love morning glories. They are great way to disguise the ugly chainlink fence around my backyard. Much as I dislike it, I’ve never considered removing it. Disposing of it would be prohibitively expensive. New Jersey is a small state with a large landfill problem. So I grow morning glory vines instead.

I also grow them on trellises. I bought this one at Target. I fell in love with little suncatcher.

Milky Way morning glories

I have trellises on either side of the door on my shed.

Grandpa Ott morning glories


Can you see the problem? There are just not enough “legs” for the vines to climb. Then I had a brainstorm. I could add string to provide more surfaces for them to climb. When I saw that Skippy was using the same technique in his garden, I knew I was on to something.


Ta Da!

I added string to all three trellises. The white string does not show up well against the white shed so I’m only posting the one picture. I can’t wait for August to see how well my idea works out.

3 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

I love morning glories, too! And you're right...they're perfect for covering an ugly chainlink fence. I'm growing them around my new veggie garden behind the garage, and I'm also trying letting them grow up a couple of my climbing rosebushes. I saw that done somewhere, and it looked so pretty.

The string is a great idea! You'll have a pretty little wall of morning glories. Make sure to post pictures!

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Colleen, a "wall" is exactly what I'm aiming for. Morning glories on climbing roses - what a great idea! I can't wait to see pictures.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Kerri said...

I love your trellis. I have Four O'Clock seedlings started. Are they the same as morning glories? Yours look so pretty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home