A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Bliss in New Jersey

Shade is a big problem in my yard. I only have one small tree in my front yard. It’s my neighbors’ trees that are shading my yard. Fortunately, they don’t shade the yard all day. As the sun moves across the sky, the shade moves around my yard. There is one area in my yard that does get sun for most of the day. I try to plant my roses there. For the rest of the yard, I look for roses that can tolerate at least some shade.

I’m not sure how I settled on Sombreuil. It’s not reputed to be shade tolerant. But it is a climber, just what I needed for a particular corner of my yard. Sombreuil was planted this spring in the corner between the Ugly Green Fence and my largest Blaze rose. She was described in all the catalogs as white. I thought that would be lovely between dark green and bright red. Sombreuil bloomed today.


As predicted by Yolanda Elizabet of Bliss, she is actually a lovely peach color. Peach was a color that I didn’t have in my garden. And situating her against the dark fence shows her off beautifully. This is the color of bliss in my New Jersey garden.

5 Comments:

At 2:11 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

And how blissfully beautiful your Sombreuil looks. Don't forget to inhale her wonderful fragrance!

How many hours of sunshine do your roses get? If it's about 6 hours a day, they will be fine.

Madame Alfred Carriere (white with a hint of pink, a lovely scented climber)will flower in full shade. And there are more roses that tolerate shade.

Looking forward to see all your roses in bloom in the coming weeks!

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Andrea's Garden said...

Hello,
I have a rose at my terrace that is a climber and it does well, even though it does not get sun there all day. Sometimes our roses are a suprise package, aren't they? Greetings from Germany, Andrea

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Naturegirl said...

I get so excited when the climbers bloom along the fence..mine are new dawn white..the buds are oh so plentifull..by the weekend I am sure they'll pop! Peach would be nice..shade lovers..humm happy gardening! hugs NG

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger LostRoses said...

Your Sombreuil is lovely, and I think a peach rose is quite a nice contrast. I've planted many roses in too much shade also, with varying results. But we've gotta garden with what nature (or previous owners) gave us!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Knitters Notebook said...

All I can say is Wow! You blog is so neat! I can't wait to read your other posts.

Renee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home