A Gardening Year

The adventures and misadventures of an heirloom gardener

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Back to Ye Olde Greenhouse

Abandoned buildings intrigue me.


Why were they abandoned? What happened to the people that used to live or work there?


How long have they been gone?


I first visited this old greenhouse at Rutgers Gardens in February and found it hauntingly beautiful. I wanted to come back and see if it looked any different surrounded by lush green rather than ice and snow.


The change is remarkable. It has lost its air of forlornness. It seems almost alive now.


Is nature trying to get in or out?


Or is it trying to prevent us from reclaiming what was once ours?


If we braved the poison ivy and got in, could we get out again?


Or would we be trapped forever?


Maybe I will find the answers in the autumn.

4 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Wow, what a great place. How wonderful that you get the chance to explore, take photos, and muse in such an environment. Now it makes me wonder too.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger LostRoses said...

Good post, Old Roses, I'm always intrigued by abandoned buildings also. Your pictures tell an interesting story.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger OldRoses said...

Karen, there's something about the outdoors that allows me to open up and explore my feelings.

Lostroses, this was one of those occasions when I had so many great shots that it was difficult to choose just a few. I didn't want the post to be too long.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful post, Old Roses. :) Thank you for the fascinating pictures and accompanying thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home